Thursday, February 04, 2010

Brown sugar glaze

My daughter Dele mentioned to me that she had salmon with a brown sugar glaze at a restaurant in ATL. I never got a chance to really get into the details with her but I've been looking for something that wakes up the flavor of salmon for me. This is my version, and it turned out surprisingly delicious. This recipe is for a fairly large amount of salmon, I think it was around 2 and a half pounds.

1 cup of brown sugar

2 or 3 good jiggers of teriyaki sauce

1/4 cup of jalapeno vinegar* (see recipe below)

1 tbls. dry mustard powder (I used hot mustard powder)

1/3 cup e.v.o.o. (extra virgin olive oil)

a few good shakes of salt free seasoning of your choice

combine all ingredients into a paste and apply to salmon before putting into oven.
cook to your taste. It may also be necessary to go in and baste the salmon just before it finishes cooking; the glaze kind of wanders around some.

(Jalapeno vinegar is just apple cider vinegar that has sliced jalapenos and brown sugar, with a little chopped garlic. Let this sit for at least a week. I make a large jar of this and use it on alot of different foods and recipes.)

No comments: