Sunday, January 06, 2013

Chicken potato quick dish

Most of the cooking I do I start in my mind thinking about what I want to create and what's on hand.

This dish is a combination of what was available, needing to make something quickly, and wanting to add Hoisin sauce to the dish.

This starts off with 6 skinless bone in chicken thighs in a kinda deep frying pan.  Add some oil and start to brown the chicken.  Cut up about 3 to 4 large potatoes in large chunks and add them to the pan.  After the chicken and potatoes have browned for a minute or two add enough chicken broth to almost cover the food.  Add whatever 'no salt' seasonings you want and then add two heaping teaspoons of Hoisin sauce.   Stir hoisin sauce into mixture so it is fully incorporated and then lower heat and cover the pan.  Cook on medium low heat until chicken is done and potatoes are tender.  You can add a cornstarch slurry to thicken this at the end, or serve as is.  I didn't add green peas but I thought they might go well in this dish.  One of the no salt seasonings I used was curry powder and if you don't think it's too weird try some.  Serve this over rice with a nice green salad, and a nice Chianti.  (Just kidding about the Chianti)

No comments: